Friday, October 17, 2008

I've started a blog



My first blog posting - how high-tech of me. I thought I was getting pretty internet savvy getting on Facebook, but now my own blog - WOW!

Yesterday was our 3 year anniversary of moving to Eugene. A lot has happened and changed in those 3 years and I see more and more the Lord's hand in guiding us here. When we went back to Napa to visit in August it really didn't seem like home there anymore. Home is here and we love it!

I'll write a little family update first to catch everyone up with what we've been doing.

Well, the Abbott family is a complicated bunch. Joshua is working at Comfort Suites as a front desk clerk (soon to start working graveyard), living in Springfield, going to Lane Community College majoring in Graphic Design and engaged to Lily Kintzley. We love Lily and are so happy Joshua has found such a wonderful young woman to marry. We're excited to have her become part of our family. Jeremy is still working at Arby's, taking a writing course and is doing pretty well. Don is busy trying to finish his latest model ship, The Mayflower; working at the Family History Center; inspecting missionary cars; going out with the missionaries; going fishing with his buddy, Skip; helping another friend, Horace, build model airplanes; and doing Sodoku (he's addicted). I'm still Relief Society President so that keeps me on my toes, lots of opportunities for service. I'm loving my new iPod Touch which I'm kind of obsessed with right now, and I'm also an avid reader - sometimes too avid - I'm trying to balance reading with other activities more. I love birding and gardening and spent lots of time this summer in the garden and watching my birds (mostly our backyard birds are goldfinches, house finches, rufus hummingbirds, pine siskins, flickers, and Stellars and Scrub jays). I love all our Relief Society activities; Dining Out, Book Club and Discovery Group (this summer we went canoeing, hiking and rafting down the Willamette River).

Last month Don and I went camping at Silver Falls State Park near Salem, OR. This was our first camping trip alone and we had a wonderful time. We rented a little rustic cabin in the park which was so cute and we hiked and relaxed. There are 10 waterfalls in the park but we only saw the two biggest - spectacular!

Last Tuesday night Don and I went to a Natalie McMaster concert with some friends who get free tickets and invite us to go with them occasionally. The concerts include a catered dinner before the concert so it's a great evening. The music was Celtic with fiddling, bagpipes, flutes, cello, bass guitar, piano and drums. Natalie also does step-dancing. It was so much fun and we had front row seats. Tonight we were given tickets (again front row seats) to another concert - this time Ralph Stanley who plays bluegrass. We're really looking forward to it.

I was diagnosed with pseudogout recently. I was having severe hip pain that prevented me from walking on my left leg. X-rays showed calcium crystals in my joints (pseudogout). The only treatment for me (because I can't take anti-inflammatories) is a cordisone shot - it did eventually help and the pain is gone now. I've been having a lot of shoulder pain in both shoulders for quite some time so my Dr. referred me to an orthopedist - he thinks I may need surgery, but we'll see. My surgeon is watching the breast lump I found a couple of months ago. He thinks it's nothing but is going to keep an eye on it. Guess I'm getting old, all these health problems, but I'm thankful I've got the weight off so it's not worse - at least most of my back pain is gone now. My weight has stabilized now with my total weight loss at 140 lbs., 117% of my excess weight - I'm thrilled!

Don's daughter, Jennifer, had gastric bypass surgery in August and is doing great. We are so happy with her progress.

Our hearts are very sad about the loss of our little great-nephew Ian Jacob Wood. Our niece, Mandi and her family have been in our thoughts and prayers.

Now I'm going to try to figure out how to post photos. Good luck to me.



No comments:

Joshua and Lily

Joshua and Lily
Joshua and Lily on the Oregon coast

South Falls

South Falls
South Falls at Silver Falls State Park

Don

Don
Don relaxing at our cabin at Silver Falls State Park, Sept. '08