Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Those Missionaries

Well, our snow is all gone - we woke up Sunday morning to rain which had melted all the snow. YAYYY! It was very pretty but it got old fast. We've been having the missionaries over a lot. They are a funny couple of kids. They're very serious about the work, but they do like to joke around and I think they've kind of adopted us as surrogate parents. They've been over 4 times in the last week. Today they came with a new member to watch a DVD and they brought us lunch - Fish & Chips. Yummm! But Don HATES fish so all he got to eat was the chips. I thought it was pretty funny because I LOVE fish and when the missionaries called to ask if he liked fish and he told them "No" they thought he was joking so they went ahead and bought it. While we watched the DVD the missionaries took turns sitting in our massage chair (I think that's really why they like to come). Oh, and they ate my fudge.

Last night our ward council met at the church to put together gift boxes for members of the ward. We did 21 boxes. Unfortunately, it's always a member of the bishopric who does the shopping for the food for the boxes and they buy the weirdest stuff. Nothing Christmasy at all. Things like fruit snacks, granola bars, crackers with peanut butter, and non-Christmas candy (Starburst, Laffy Taffy, Smarties). I can't take it one more year - I'm volunteering to shop next year and put together something much nicer and more festive. Also, we wrap boxes with Christmas paper and the men do it so sloppy and the inside looks awful. We have to do something about that next year too. We delivered 3 boxes and still have 2 more to deliver. We gave the missionaries 3 to deliver too. Some of them are going to investigators. I'm actually kind of embarrassed to give them out. Oh, and there really wasn't as much food for them this year because the counselor who bought it didn't bother to figure out how much he needed to buy so they look kind of pathetic.

We did a little food shopping yesterday to make sure we had everything we need for Christmas Eve, Christmas and when Don's kids come. I think we're ready now. We're actually going to have pizza for Christmas dinner because we're saving the turkey and fixings for when Don's kids are here and Joshua personally requested pizza. I'm OK with that - it's easy!

I'm having trouble with this post because Chloe is sitting next to the monitor putting up her paw at me to get my attention. Then she sees movement on the screen and tries to paw at it. The joy of cats.

Well, we have to go deliver those boxes and I'm going to try to make some berry thumbprint cookies and maybe one other kind. We'll see what I get around to - I'm trying not to put too much pressure on myself or have too many specific expectations for Christmas. I'm just going to be happy for whatever happens and whoever is here.

No comments:

Joshua and Lily

Joshua and Lily
Joshua and Lily on the Oregon coast

South Falls

South Falls
South Falls at Silver Falls State Park

Don

Don
Don relaxing at our cabin at Silver Falls State Park, Sept. '08