Monday, December 15, 2008

Snowbound

Backyard after snowstorm
Front yard after snowstorm
View from Living Room window
Front of our house after big snow

Well, our big storm came and we have about 4 inches of snow on the ground with more to come. They have about 2 inches in town and all the schools are closed and there are ice warnings. It's BRRRR cold (low 20's and teens at night and not above freezing in the day). We're home bound right now and I'm canceling everything coming up this week. I'm hoping we'll get out by Friday to go to our ward Christmas Party (it's a Mexican themed party and I love Mexican food). Wednesday is Jeremy's birthday and we have his gifts but I don't think he'll be able to get up the hill so we may have to postpone it.

Since we had to stay home today I baked some wonderful ginger cookies (Lily's mom gave me the recipe) with a lemon glaze and then Don and I wrapped presents. I'm glad that's finally done - I kept putting it off. I think Don was more eager to help than usual because it was that or go shovel snow (which he still better do). I also did some more sewing on the sails for Don's model of the Mayflower (he's almost done now).

Joshua and Lily came over Friday evening and Lily brought me a beautiful fresh wreath that her mother made for us. It's so much prettier than any store bought wreaths. She told me she'd show me how to make them next year. Evidently she has equipment that wires them together and she makes lots of them every year. She's really talented - she also makes beeswax angel ornaments.

I got a speeding ticket last Thursday. I was driving down the hill and the speed limit is only 25 mph which is ridiculous (but the speed limits in this town are all really low for the roads). Anyway I was speeding and I got caught. So I went right down to the courthouse and paid my fine ($115) . OUCH - that hurt! But I won't be speeding down the hill again, I learned my lesson the hard way. And, now we can't afford to go to see the lights on the coast and spend the night so that little trip got canceled. Oh, well - live and learn.

We had fun yesterday afternoon at a birthday party for a lady in our ward who will be 82 on Christmas day. She's from Switzerland and never married and she's an absolute riot. We really love her. Some other friends hosted the party and everyone brought little gifts. We sure love our friends in this ward.

We've invited our home teaching families over for a little party next Saturday night. Hopefully the weather will be cooperative by then. We did it last year and everyone liked it and it's easier for us than having to go visit everyone this busy time of year.

I'm posting pictures of our snow. It's still a big deal to us and it's so beautiful.

No comments:

Joshua and Lily

Joshua and Lily
Joshua and Lily on the Oregon coast

South Falls

South Falls
South Falls at Silver Falls State Park

Don

Don
Don relaxing at our cabin at Silver Falls State Park, Sept. '08