Monday, November 17, 2008

Giving Thanks

I've been thinking about all the things I have to be thankful for lately. Tis the season, I guess. I am so blessed with such a wonderful family, beautiful home, great friends, good health (except my shoulders), and most of all my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Being Relief Society President has really been a blessing because it has helped me appreciate all I have when I've seen so many with so little. It's also helped me be more compassionate and giving. With the tough economic times, we've decided to cut out some less essential expenses (Netflix, my nails, Glenn Beck insider subscription, etc.) and I was feeling pretty sorry for myself for having to sacrifice some things I really liked having, but I realize how blessed I really am and how much I take for granted most of the time. There are a lot of people in this area who are homeless, mentally-ill and/or drug-addicted and I feel so thankful that I don't have those problems.

We had the missionaries to dinner Friday night and I gave them some names of less-active sisters in our ward to go visit. They were anxious to get as many names as they could and I was glad to have them help. Already they have two sisters and their families they're teaching and working with - I'm so excited about that and so are they. They're giving me the credit but they're doing the work. We love having the missionaries over - they're so enthusiastic and fun and they actually like my food and think I'm a good cook - that's a first.

I went to physical therapy Friday and found out I have very little chest expansion when I breathe (which isn't good) and that I have some very tight muscles on my left side neck and upper back which may be affecting my shoulder. He worked on the muscles for awhile and will continue to each week when I go.

I had our Relief Society Book Club here Thursday night. We have so much fun - Don asked if we ever talk about the book - all he could hear was lots of laughing. I told him we talk about it a little but I have to admit that we mostly talk about other stuff and just have fun and eat goodies.
We're planning to go see the movie "Twilight" in December (after the crowds die down a little) instead of having a book club night in December.

I made Cider Pumpkin Bread last night from a recipe I had that sounded really good. I was going to serve it tonight for Empty Nesters Family Home Evening. It smelled really bad while it was cooking (bitter or something) and tasted the same. I guess it was the apple cider in it that made it taste so bad, so today I made some regular pumpkin bread which tastes great so I'll serve that with spiced cider tonight. Don't know what I'll do with that other bread - it looks good and is nice and moist, but just has a bad taste - what a shame!

Since Joshua's going to Lily's mom's for Thanksgiving and Jeremy's going to a friend's, Don and I are going to go out to eat. Probably to a great restaurant we went to for my birthday.

No comments:

Joshua and Lily

Joshua and Lily
Joshua and Lily on the Oregon coast

South Falls

South Falls
South Falls at Silver Falls State Park

Don

Don
Don relaxing at our cabin at Silver Falls State Park, Sept. '08