Thursday, January 7, 2010

Resolutions vs. Goals

I'm not making New Year's resolutions anymore because I never keep them very long but I am setting some goals for myself. I'm starting to keep a journal again. I'm embarrassed to say it's been years since I've kept a journal and a lot has happened in my life that I should have been recording. Keeping this blog has helped record a few things but I really do want to keep a personal journal so that's a major goal for me.

I'm going to continue to work on my food storage and I want to set a goal to can at least 10 pints of meat a month. That doesn't sound like much but I just canned 4 pints of steak and 6 pints of pork chops which represents quite a bit of money so, financially, that's about all I can afford to do in a month. It'll take a long time to get all the meat canned that I need for a year's supply, but at least I'm working on it.

Don and I are also going to try to do better with studying the scriptures and the Sunday School lesson ahead of time.

Of course, I have the standard goals of trying to eat better and exercise more. That will always be a challenge for me, even with my surgery. I've gained a little weight back which is probably a good thing because I had gotten too thin (can't believe I'm saying that) but I certainly don't want to gain anymore back and now it's easier to eat the wrong things so I do have to be more careful.

Another goal is to really try to stay on top of things and not wait until the last minute to do things. I used to be so good about staying organized and preparing ahead, etc. but lately I've become a bit of a procrastinator. I'm also finally getting the hang of this Relief Society President calling and trying to be on top of everyone's needs and situations. That's been hard for me at times because I feel like I'm being nosy always asking people personal questions (at least to me they're personal), but I've learned that I do have to know these things in order to help them.

I should be setting a goal to get up earlier in the morning but I've developed a habit of staying up late and getting up late and I kind of like it and it's working pretty well for me, so for now I'm not changing that. As long as I get done what I need to in the day, I think I'm fine there. And, of course, I do get up earlier when I need to for something (church, appointments, etc.).

I'm enjoying our little kitten Daphne so much and she and Milo are very entertaining to watch play and wrestle together. She's so fun-loving and affectionate and is great company - it helps me not miss Chloe so much. I've accepted her loss now and am feeling a lot less sad about it. Just have lots of happy memories about her.

No comments:

Joshua and Lily

Joshua and Lily
Joshua and Lily on the Oregon coast

South Falls

South Falls
South Falls at Silver Falls State Park

Don

Don
Don relaxing at our cabin at Silver Falls State Park, Sept. '08